OK We use cookies to enhance your visit to our site and to bring you advertisements that might interest you. Read our Privacy and Cookies policies to find out more.

News Americas

According to news reports, a Hawaiian girl was given too many sedatives and anesthesia during a dental procedure. She may have suffered severe brain damage as a result. (Photo: Nejron Photo/Shutterstock)
Dec 18, 2013 | News Americas

Girl suffers brain damage after dental procedure

by Dental Tribune International

KAILUA, Hawaii, USA: As reported by Hawaii News Now, a local online news portal, a dentist in Hawaii allegedly gave a three-year-old girl excessive anesthesia and sedatives, which damaged her brain severely. The child’s family has started an online fundraiser to cover medical expenses.

On December 3, during a pediatric dental procedure, the girl went into respiratory and cardiac arrest owing to an overdose, according to the online newspaper. As a result, she suffered immense brain damage and is currently being taken care of at an intensive-care unit in Honolulu.

Since the girl is young and still growing, doctors have informed her family that long-term care may hold the possibility of improvement. Therefore, her parents created a donation Web site via Fundly, a crowd-funding Web site for online fundraising, to save their daughter’s life. To date, they have collected over $23,500.

According to Hawaii News Now, the parents are planning to file suit against the dentist.

RELATED ARTICLES
Print  |  Send to a friend