ENDODONTICS UPDATE 2017
ENDODONTICS UPDATE 2017 offers practitioners an in-depth look at various key topics relevant to clinical practice. Keynote presenter Professor Paul Abbott AO and fellow endodontists Dr Glen Weston and Dr Patrick Caldwell combine to present developments within the field of endodontics. This event will be held at the Marriott Hotel, Brisbane CBD, Queensland on Friday the 24th of March 2017. For further event details & registration brochure contact the Queensland Dental Group on +61 7 3839 8000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Event details:
- Professor Paul Abbott AO
- Dr Glen Weston
- Dr Patrick Caldwell
Through The Looking Glass - Root Canal Preparation From My Perspective presented by: Dr Glen Weston, Endodontist
- A selection of clinical cases captured on video via a surgical operating microscope
- Location of calcified canals
- Access cavity principles and designs
- Removal of existing root fillings
- Identification of fractures
- Rubber dam isolation
Diagnostic tests and procedures – what do they tell us? Which ones should we use? presented by: Professor Paul Abbott AO, Endodontist
- Understanding the disease processes helps to help formulate a diagnosis
- Different conditions, different symptoms, different clinical signs – what do they all mean?
- Particular tests help to assess the pulp and root canal conditions
- Other particular tests help to assess the peri-radicular conditions
- Interpretation of test results is essential for accurate diagnosis and correct management
- What about CBCT – is this useful or essential?
Root Fillings – Concepts, Ideologies and Strategies presented by: Professor Paul Abbott AO, Endodontist
- Treatment ideologies – why fill root canals?
- Success rates of different techniques and approaches
- Selecting materials - is one material better than the others?
- Have we advanced in our techniques and outcomes?
- One visit versus multi-visit approaches
- Strategies to maximise success rates and longevity
Restoration of the root filled tooth - an Endodontist's perspective presented by: Dr Patrick Caldwell, Endodontist
- The importance of immediate restoration
- Simplifying restorative procedures by keeping the end result in mind
- Choosing appropriate restorative materials for different situations
- Techniques to improve restorative results and efficiency
- Management of deep restorative margins
- Options for temporisation
Professor Paul Abbott AO, Dr Glen Weston & Dr Patrick Caldwell
Professor Paul Abbott is the Winthrop Professor of Clinical Dentistry at The University of Western Australia. He is a Specialist Endodontist and works in private practice on a part-time basis. Prior to taking a full-time University position in 2002, he spent 17 years in private specialist practice in Perth and Melbourne. He was Head of the School of Dentistry at The University of Western Australia and Director of the Oral Health Centre of WA from 2003-2009. He has lectured extensively in 42 countries, has published 137 articles in refereed journals and 20 textbook chapters. In 2015, he was appointed as Editor-in-Chief of the international journal Dental Traumatology. He also serves on Editorial Boards and Scientific Review Panels of 16 other international journals. In 2004, he was awarded the University of Western Australia’s Excellence in Teaching Award for Individual Teaching. In 2015, the University awarded him the Excellence in Teaching Award for Postgraduate Coursework Teaching and the UWA Student Guild awarded him their Student’s Choice Award for his teaching. Also in 2015, he received a Commendation for Lifetime Achievement from the The WA Clinical Training Network Team. In June 2015, he was appointed as an Officer of the Order of Australia in recognition of his services to clinical dentistry, teaching, research and professional societies.
Dr Glen Weston
Dr Glen Weston is a past President of Queensland Branch of the Australian Society of Endodontology, as well as the Federal Secretary/Treasurer of the Australian Society of Endodontology and has been in specialist endodontic practice in Brisbane since 1998. Glen has been a keynote speaker at international dental conferences and he is actively involved in endodontic continuing education across Australia. He has held the position of visiting lecturer, external examiner and clinical supervisor at the University of Queensland Dental School.
Dr Patrick Caldwell
Dr Patrick Caldwell is a registered specialist in Endodontics. He graduated in Dentistry with Honours from the University of Queensland in 1998 and then went on to work for the Royal Australian Navy, both ashore and at sea. During this time he undertook advanced training in restorative dentistry and in 2002 sat examinations and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons. In 2003 Patrick graduated with a Masters of Dental Science in Endodontics. He has since gone on to complete additional advanced training, completing a Masters of Clinical Dentistry in Implant Dentistry. In 2009 Patrick moved to Shanghai, China where he was the only Endodontist in a city of 21 million people. In late 2010, Patrick returned home to Brisbane and established Brisbane Microsurgical Endodontics. He is involved in teaching at Griffith University and has conducted courses both nationally and internationally to help general dentists improve their endodontic skills.
Brisbane Marriott Hotel, 515 Queen Street ,Brisbane, Australia
Queensland Dental Group
Ground Floor, Silverton Place
Suite 12, 101 Wickham Terrace
Queensland Dental Group
tel: +61 7 3839 8000
fax: +61 7 3839 8001